Property and Finance
Mediating financial and property settlements
When a relationship breaks down, there are often financial issues to sort out
Dealing with your finances and property through family mediation keeps you both firmly in control of any proposals for settlement. Family mediation is the best choice for separating couples who want to reach an agreement at least cost and at a pace that fits for them.
Our mediators specialise in helping separating couples deal with such matters. This can include helping you decide how to settle existing debts and bills with least delay to avoid additional costs. It can involve the division of savings and assets in a way that you both feel is most equitable. Like solicitors, family mediators work within the parameters of family law to help you arrive at an agreement that can be made legally binding.
The mediator will help you both:
- look at your current situation
- identify all of your assets and liabilities
- discuss what needs dealing with immediately so that you avoid getting into further debt
- explore in detail the different options each of you put forward with regard to a settlement
- consider how the suggested proposals will work for each of you individually and, if applicable, how it will best ensure your children’s futures
- arrive at an agreement that the two of you feel is fairest and is within the parameters of the law, so that your agreement on finances can be made legally binding
At the point where the two of you reach an agreed proposal, the mediator will ask both of you to discuss it with your individual solicitors before it is agreed and taken forward. This gives you the opportunity to ensure that your proposed agreement is realistic, and the confidence that you have made good decisions. If you don’t already have a solicitor, our Family Solicitor Directory can help you find one.
|Please see Our Fees page for full details.|
|If you are ready to take the first step towards family mediation please complete our Self Referral form:|